Owing to improvements in treatment, medical interventions and technology, many young people are surviving into adulthood with chronic illnesses previously only seen in childhood. It is slowly being recognised that there are serious gaps in service provision for young people aged 16-25yrs with palliative care needs, despite these young people having a broad spectrum of disorders.
By virtue of its facilities and staffing, Derian Lodge is designed to meet the medical, developmental and psychosocial needs of young people including their requirements for independence, privacy, autonomy, peer contact and recreation.
The environment at Derian Lodge enables young people to have the freedom to choose how to spend their time whether that means having a late night watching a movie with friends or having a lazy lie in the next day. By completing a personalised care plan, each young person has the opportunity to tell staff exactly how they would like their care to be delivered.
Derian Lodge has family accommodation although many parents choose not to stay with us, giving their young person control over the aspects of their day to day life.
- 4 large, en-suite bedrooms with electric beds, ceiling track hoists, under floor heating, TV/DVD/Wi, outside patio area and optional environmental controls to promote independence
- Lounge area including large screen TV and games consoles (Xbox, Playstation and Wii)
- Computer area including Wifi
- Dining room and kitchen
- Use of the hydrotherapy pool and multisensory room at Derian House
- Outside seating areas and woodland walk
- Age appropriate respite care including activity weekends, art/music workshops, beauty weekends, music therapy, pet therapy, movie/race nights, trips out to the cinema, pub, shopping, football matches, theatre and much more
- Support and advice around transition to adult services
- Attend clinic/outpatients appointments acting as the young person’s advocate if required
- Liaise with other professionals involved in the young person’s care to ensure a holistic, multi agency, fully informed approach
- Physiotherapy – either at home or at the Lodge
- Emergency respite – we will aim to accommodate emergency respite requests e.g. for parent/carer illness, home adaptations etc and these can be discussed on an individual basis
- Symptom control
- End of life care
- Bereavement support
- Family Support