The Eric Wright Charitable Trust – the charitable arm and sole owner of the Eric Wright Group – donated £25,000 to Derian House Children’s Hospice, after nominating the hospice as one if its Charities of the Year.
Two of the Trustees, Michele Collier and Alison Wright, who is also the wife of Eric Wright, founder of the Preston based property and construction company the Eric Wright Group, visited Derian to present the cheque.
Alison Wright, said: “We are thrilled to offer this cheque to such a deserving charity, which supports the needs of many local families who depend on the organisation for their respite care and excellent support networks.
“Without these facilities, families could face an uncertain future so it is essential that Derian can provide the necessary equipment and facilities to maintain a high-quality standard of care and offer ongoing support to those who need it.”
Derian House Children’s Hospice provides respite and end-of-life care to more than 400 children and young people with life-limiting and life-shortening conditions.
When families come to Derian House, they can relax and spend time together making happy memories, safe in the knowledge the medical side of their child’s care is being looked after.
The charity also offers support for parents, grandparents and siblings.
Kevin Bedford, Fundraising Manager for Derian House Children’s Hospice, said: “We’ve been working with Eric Wright Trust for many years now and we are very grateful that they have chosen us as one of their official Charities of the Year in 2019.
“£25,000 is a significant amount for the charity. It could fund a nurse’s scholarship for a year, allowing someone to gain the training they need to provide care for complex children as part of the Derian House team, and also send 13 of our families on a free week’s break to our holiday lodge at Ribby Hall. This money will make a real difference to our children and young people.”
Derian House needs more than £4million every year to provide its services, and yet less than 10 per cent of this comes from government funding. For the remaining 90 per cent, the charity relies on the generosity of supporters.