“Innovative leadership and shared pride in the success of Derian House” has led to the Chorley-based children’s hospice maintaining its coveted Investors in People standard.
Following an inspection in January, the hospice, which supports children, young people and their families from across the North West, was described as “an impressive organisation” with its commitment to providing outstanding care reflected by all staff.
“It is great to be part of an organisation that is moving forward,” said one member of the dedicated team, interviewed as part of the inspection. “Derian House is a great place to work.”
Investors in People is an internationally-recognised standard which is designed to help organisations achieve real improvement through the better leadership, management and support of their employees.
“We are extremely proud to be recognised by Investors in People once again,” said Chief Executive of Derian House Children’s Hospice Georgina Cox. “It is testament to the hard work and dedication of our staff and is reflected in the fact we consistently go above and beyond the call of duty to ensure the children and young people entrusted to our care receive the best possible support.”
During the inspection, Derian House’s leadership strategies and structure were examined, as well as how managers communicate with staff, training provision and schemes to recognise and reward employees for their achievements.
Comments received from staff included:
• “I’ve never experienced anything like this. The leadership team is very approachable.”
• “We are all treated the same, whatever role you take here. There is no hierarchy of importance.”
• “We are a strong team and provide excellent support for each other.”
• “Derian House performs very well. Yes, the work is difficult and emotive, but there is regular supervision, regular support – it really is second to none.”
• “We have started on a path of continuous development and have already seen an increase in the number of referrals into the service from referring hospitals. We have come a long way in the last three years.”
The Investors in People report highlighted “Derian House’s strong, visionary leadership and the continued commitment and dedication of the entire staff team”.
“Care is at the very heart of everything we do here at Derian House,” said Georgina Cox. “We have been recognised by the Care Quality Commission for the outstanding care we provide to the children, young people and families who rely on us for end-of-life care, respite stays or bereavement support. We cannot do this without retaining and recruiting the very best staff, those with a passion to ensure Derian House remains at the top of its field nationally.”