What We Do
Derian House Children’s Hospice provides respite and end-of-life care for children and young people with life-limiting conditions, across Lancashire and South Cumbria.
Our respite breaks give families a chance to re-charge their batteries, or simply spend time together as a family without worrying about the medical side of their child’s care.
When it comes to end-of-life care, our aim is to make the most difficult time a family will have to go through the best it can be, whether this is at Derian House or at home.
We cannot change a diagnosis, but our experienced team of palliative care nurses can offer support, comfort, reassurance, and instil a sense of calm. We are always on-call, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
nights of respite care
hours of day care
hours of Derian at Home visits
hours of family play visits
Every year we provide
- Care for more than 400 children and young people
- 2,200 nights of respite care
- 100 nights of care in our Sunflower Rooms where children can rest before their funeral
- 35 hours of music therapy
- 250 hours of weekly clubs during school holidays
- Day trips for more than 35 young people and their siblings
- 1,500 hours of day care
- 450 hours of pool fun in hydrotherapy and family splash sessions
- 800 hours of family-supervised play visits
- 1,100 Derian at Home visits from our ‘hospice at home’ team
- 190 sessions of bereavement counselling
To access Derian House services, you must be referred, either by a professional or through our self-referral process. To find out if you may be eligible for our services, give us a call on 01257 233 300.